Have Fun with Epsom Salt
From planning projects with the kids to decorating for the holidays to sparking a romantic evening, there are plenty of things to create using Epsom salt and plenty of ways to have fun. You can make cards, paintings, custom bath crystals or Easter eggs. Frost your windows, decorate champagne glasses, glisten candles or make your pumpkins glitter. Whether it's Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Halloween, the Holidays – or just an uneventful day at home – Epsom salt can help you celebrate and have fun.
While using Epsom salt on your craft project can add color, texture and beauty, there's one thing you should know, just for planning purposes. Fresh Epsom salt crystals have high water content, and when the translucent crystals get exposed to air, they will begin to dry and become white. That's natural, but it's a change that can occur as fast as one week. So why do we mention this? If you're planning to make, say, luminaries for a wedding, you should wait until close to the final date. On other activities, such as greeting cards, you may want the whiter look. On some projects, such as the holiday jars above, you can also paint and seal the texture of the Epsom salt, ensuring the color stays true.
If you plan to seal your projects with some type of additional coating, and it's something that would be near a candle or some other flame, please check the label of the coating material to be sure it is not flammable. Epsom salt itself is not flammable – it has a high water content, and it is actually used as a flame retardant – but some types of coatings may be flammable.
Bottom line: plan accordingly and have fun!
- Martha Stewart: Frosty Salted Pillar Candles
- Epsom Salt Crafts -- Who Knew?
- Sparkly Epsom Salt Snowman
- Martha Stewart: Pine Cone Fire Starters
- Holiday Crafts
- DIY Projects For the Weekend | POPSUGAR Smart Living
- Saving: Fun tricks to curing cabin fever | 6abc.com
- The Thrifty Groove: How to Reuse and Color Epsom Salts for Valentine Decor
- 15 Snow Day DIYs to Cure Your Kids’ Cabin Fever | Brit + Co
- Valentines Day Snow Globe | Easy D.I.Y - YouTube