New Year, New You
To Help With New Year’s Resolutions, Try Epsom Salt
Several celebrities say they use it to help look and feel better.
As people start to work on their New Year’s resolutions, Epsom Salt can be an inexpensive way to look and feel better. Especially these days, when people can’t always afford trips to the spa or expensive bath beads, Epsom Salt can still help you get glowing skin, smooth feet and soothe achy muscles after a tough workout. And while you can find it at your local pharmacy or supermarket for just a few bucks, a growing number of celebrities also use this naturally-occurring mineral.
Gwyneth Paltrow, for instance, posted some beauty tips on her Web site, including a suggestion to take an Epsom Salt bath “to detox, revive muscles and de-puff skin.” Before that, the Daily Mail (London) reported that supermodel Heidi Klum soaked in Epsom Salt to get rid of bloating . And Jessica Alba told Marie Claire that she takes baths almost daily and, “Because I work out so hard, I usually put in a gallon of Epsom salts.”
Here are a few tips:
- To exfoliate: Place Epsom salt in your hand, dampen it and massage it into your skin. You can also create a DIY Lavender Coconut Body Scrub, as seen in this video.
- For a gentle facial: Mix 1/2 TSP of Epsom Salt into cleansing cream for a deep-pore cleansing. Massage on skin. Rinse with cool water. Pat dry.
- For a relaxing soak: Add two cups of Epsom Salt to the water in a standard-sized bathtub; soak for at least 12 minutes, three times weekly. For an extra treat, add a few drops of eucalyptus oil for a refreshing scent.
- For a simple hair volumizer: Combine equal parts of warm, deep conditioner and Epsom Salt. Work the warm mixture through your hair and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse.
- For a foot scrub: Mix 2 cups of Epsom Salt with 1/4 cup of petroleum jelly and a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Use the mixture to gently scrub the heels and dry, rough patches on the feet. Repeat every few days.
Note: For human use, the Epsom Salt Council recommends only Epsom salt with the USP designation.