The benefits of Epsom salt aren't just folklore. In fact, numerous studies have demonstrated the profound and wide—ranging benefits of magnesium and sulfate, naturally occurring minerals that are the two major components of Epsom salt. Doctors, celebrities, personal trainers, gardening experts and supermodels have all extolled its virtues.
So roam around this site to learn everything Epsom salt—from why it works to how to use it for health and beauty and gardening. We think you'll be as amazed with this natural alternative as we are, even after all these years.
The Science of Epsom Salt
Most people know about the importance of calcium and vitamin D, but many Americans are also magnesium deficient. Doctors say it stems largely from the increasing prevalence of processed foods in our diets. Today, 68 percent of U.S. adults consume less than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of magnesium, according to the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, and 19 percent consume less than half of the RDA.
Epsom salt is made up of naturally occurring minerals magnesium and sulfate, which can help improve health in numerous ways. A lack of magnesium—which helps regulate the activity of more than 300 enzymes in the body—can contribute to high blood pressure, hyperactivity, heart problems and other health issues, doctors warn. Sulfate is essential for many biological processes, helping to flush toxins and helping form proteins in joints, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
Doctors and researchers say that soaking in an Epsom salt bath is a safe, easy way to increase the body's levels of both magnesium and sulfate.
- Wall Street Journal: Wake Up and Smell the Magnesium
- 20 Amazing Uses for Epsom Salt | The Dr. Oz Show
- Fountain of Youth with Beneficial Epsom Salt
- Bargain Babe: New Uses for Common Things
- 7 Unexpected Uses for Epsom Salt
- Is This the New Iron Deficiency?
- Best Hostess Gifts - Presents for Hostess - Woman's Day
- Restoring Magnesium Levels With Epsom Salt Baths
- 20 Summer Boredom Busters for Kids - Moms Need To Know ™
- Raise Your Spiritual Emergy with a Ritual Bath