Epsom Salt Health Uses & Benefits
What to do for sore muscles, aches, pains, bruises and splinter removal
In each case, experts say taking an Epsom salt is a natural, at-home remedy. Here’s what you do:
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to the water in a standard-sized bathtub (double the Epsom salt for an oversized garden tub).
- Soak for at least 12 minutes
- The Epsom salt will dissolve quicker if you put it under the running water.
Note: For human use, the Epsom Salt Council recommends only Epsom salt with the USP designation.
Other tips to for sore muscles and splinter removal
- Soak a cotton washcloth in cold water that has been mixed with Epsom salt (2 tablespoons per cup)
Create a paste to apply to the skin
- Adding a teaspoon of Epsom salt to about a cup of hot water until it dissolves
- Chill the solution in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Note: Clean the skin and pat dry before applying the paste.
Soaking aching feet in an Epsom salt foot bath
- Create an Epsom Salt bath by pouring 1 cup into a tub of warm water.