Halloween is around the corner, and it’s officially spooky season! Between planning costumes and carving pumpkins, Halloween is a great time to spend time together as a family and try out some low-hassle, budget friendly crafts to keep the kids busy and in high spirits this season.
Thankfully, craft time doesn’t have to come at a high cost or inconvenience. Epsom salts, a common household staple, do the trick to bring your haunted hand-made creations to life.
- Jack-O-Lantern Luminaries: Want to add some dimension to the pumpkin display on your front stoop this Halloween? Add in some homemade luminaries to brighten up your décor:
- Simply mix a generous amount of Epsom salt in a bowl with 10 drops of orange food coloring and mix until the salt is evenly coated with orange.
- Then, add glue or Modge Podge to the outside of a mason jar before rolling the jar in the Epsom salts.
- While that dries, cut your preferred Halloween-inspired design from black felt, and glue on the jar once dry.
- Light a candle inside the jar before displaying to add an ominous flair!
- Candy Corn Bath Salts: Whether you’re looking to find something to help you wind down before bed or seeking a fun way to boost excitement around your kiddos’ bath time, making candy corn bath salts is a great solution.
- Take three resealable sandwich bags and fill them with 1 cup of Epsom salt in each.
- Add 3 drops of yellow food coloring and lemon essential oil to one of the bags, and 3 drops of orange food coloring and orange essential oil to another.
- Add an essential oil of your choice to the third bag (we recommend bergamot).
- Shake all bags to distribute color and scent evenly.
- In a mason jar, first pour the white/uncolored Epsom salt in the bottom, then the orange in the middle, and finally the yellow on top!
- Store in a cool, dry place and use at leisure.
- Bone-Chilling Bath Bombs: Make your kids go “googly” over these monster-inspired, easy bath bomb creations that will have them looking forward to clean-up time.
- Combine 1 cup baking soda, ½ cup citric acid, ½ cup Epsom salt, ½ cup cornstarch, a couple drops of your favorite essential oil, 2 tsp. coconut oil, and light green mica powder or green food coloring to a bowl and mix.
- Take a spherical ornament mold and pack in the mixture to both sides.
- Add googly eyes by sliding them into the outer edges of the mold so they are visible from the outside.
- Close the ornament and allow it to sit for several hours or refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Gently open the ornament to remove your bone-chilling bath bomb!
Add these Halloween-inspired, creepy creations to your to-dos this season for unforgettable fun with the whole family.