Travel back in time to childhood by hosting a girlfriends craft night, or introduce the magic of unicorns to your little ones with this fun DIY. Unicorn bath bombs allow you to bathe in a rainbow of glittery suds. The key to these nostalgic and girly bath bombs is the layering of pink, purple, and blue ingredients, and the addition of cosmetic grade glitter, which the FDA has certified to be safe for skin. See the full craft instructions below, and check out our video for a step-by-step visual.
- 1 ½ cups baking soda
- ¾ cup Epsom salt
- ¾ cup corn starch
- ¾ cup citric acid
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- ¾ tsp essential oil
- 1 ½ tsp cosmetic grade glitter
- Pink, blue and purple food coloring
- Popsicle mold (we used this one).
Note: For human use, the Epsom Salt Council recommends only Epsom salt with the USP designation.
- In a bowl, combine the baking soda, Epsom salt, corn starch, and citric acid.
- In a second bowl, combine the coconut oil, water, and essential oil, then separate into three bowls. Add a few drops of pink, blue, or purple food coloring to each bowl and stir. You can add more or less depending on how vibrant you’d like the colors to be.
- Separate out 1/3 of the dry ingredients into each bowl of oil and food coloring. Slowly mix everything together. It should have the consistency of wet sand. If it doesn’t look like it’s sticking, stir in ½ tsp of water at a time until you can press it between your fingers and it holds together.
- Add ½ tsp of cosmetic grade glitter to each bowl and mix.
- Layer the mixture into the mold and let dry overnight.
- The next morning, turn the mold upside down and tap it to release the bath bombs.
- Dissolve in your next bath and enjoy!
This recipe yields 6 bath bombs.